Introduction to CBD Edibles
CBD edibles are popular cannabinoid products used across the world. These products are designed to look like some candy except they are packed with lots of cannabidiol and other cannabinoids making them a medicinal hub. CBD edibles come in different flavors, sizes and shapes giving you a variety of options to choose from. This has made them quite popular but how exactly do they compare to other forms of CBD? Is there anything special about CBD edibles that you can’t get from say CBD vapes or CBD tinctures? In this article, we seek the answers to these and more questions. We aim to help you understand what exactly CBD edibles are and whether they are the right choice for you.
What are CBD Edibles?
CBD Edibles are products filled with CBD designed to be consumed like some candy. These edibles come in different forms, and the most popular of them all is known as CBD gummies or gummy bears. The best CBD edibles are 100% natural and are also free from THC. Such edibles are not just effective but also extremely safe for consumptions. Using a THC-free CBD edible also protects you from psychoactive effects of the cannabinoid.
One issue that buyers must be wary about is on the extraction method used to make the edible. We know of cases where manufacturers use solvents such as hexane or butane to extract CBD from hemp plants. This method is indeed effective, but its downside is that it tends to leave behind traces of harsh chemicals such as propylene glycol which can be harmful to the user. Best CBD oils are extracted using CO2. This method is complex, requires a lot of expensive resources, but it usually delivers the safest and most potent CBD edibles. The price tag from such edible will also be high, understandably, but absolutely worth your money considering that it is much safer for you. It’s, therefore, very crucial to ensure that you are buying your edibles from a reputable company that goes out of its way to guarantee purity and overall quality of its edibles. The last thing you’d want is to treat your anxiety disorder and end up having to treat cancer just because you consumed some edibles with traces of propylene glycol which broke down into some carcinogenic compounds.
Types of CBD Edibles
The good thing with the wide variety of CBD edibles present in the market is the options they give you. Most of these edibles are so discrete which allows you to use them without the people around you knowing that you are actually taking some medicine.
Here are the options we are talking about:
- CBD Gummies – These are by far the most popular edibles in the market. CBD gummies are nothing but candies full of CBD. As you swirl the candy around your mouth, its CBD content will be released steadily allowing for its absorption into your system over some time. Its effects take around 40 minutes to kick in.
- CBD Bars – If you are a chocolate fan, CBD bars will definitely interest you. CBD bars are designed like a chocolate bar and are also formulated with some flavors to satisfy your taste buds all while the cannabinoid is getting absorbed into your system.
- CBD Brownies – CBD brownies are just like the traditional marijuana brownies except these ones don’t have any THC. You will, therefore, get all the desired outcomes without feeling “high.” They are also discretely made to look like you are taking a normal brownie and this is useful as it allows you to take them even when undertaking your official duties. Just like CBD gummies and bars, the brownies will take approximately 40 minutes for the effects to come alive.
- CBD Lollipops – CBD lollipops have been around for some time now. These edibles come in different flavors and varying dosages to serve different purposes.
- CBD Peanut Butter – CBD peanut butter is perhaps the most innovative of the lot. This product is just like regular peanut butter except it contains some CBD making it even healthier to use. CBD peanut butter manufacturers provide dosage details on the branding to help you know how much of CBD you are consuming. The fact that it doesn’t contain any THC makes overdosing almost impossible, and hence your peanut butter addiction shouldn’t worry you. Taking too much of it will also not be of any benefits since the effects of CBD tend to plateau past certain doses.
- CBD Honey – Yes, there are CBD honey edibles out there. These are not only effective but also quite sweet to consume thanks to the presence of the honey.
Benefits of Taking CBD Edibles
What are the benefits of opting for CBD edibles over other forms of CBD oil?
- Provide long-lasting relief
As you can already tell, CBD edibles are generally mixed with other foodstuffs which means that the active compound is released slowly over some time. As a result, the effects of the compound will be long lasting compared to, e.g. vaping CBD. Studies have even shown that some CBD edibles can last for up to 4 hours longer than inhaled CBD.
CBD edibles contain minimal to zero amounts of THC. This makes them an excellent choice for everyone looking to enjoy the medicinal benefits of CBD without the infamous “high” associated with its parent plant.
- Eliminates the possibility of lung irritation
Vaping CBD is a very popular and a rather cool way of consuming CBD. The thing, however, is that the long-term effects of inhaling CBD oils are yet to be determined. Most vaporizers use polyethylene glycol, and propylene glycol and these two thinning agents are believed to produce carcinogenic compounds when heated beyond 436℉ (224℃).
CBD edibles provide a way out from lung irritation and potential long-term medical complications.
- Easy to dose
A lot of people don’t realize how difficult it can be calculating CBD dosages until they try vaping the compound. Knowing how much of the cannabinoid you are inhaling is always an issue with a lot of users. CBD edibles are sold in pre-dosed servings which makes it easier for you to know how much CBD you are taking.
Putting a CBD gummy into your mouth is more discrete than taking out a vaporizer and blowing out some smoke. Some CBD edibles are hence ideal for a lot of us who are always busy in the office or traveling yet we still need to get that dosage of cannabidiol.
One trial published back in in 2006 in the Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research showed that consumption of CBD in different doses was very safe to healthy and epileptic patients. This means that users of CBD edibles can rest easy knowing that their remedy won’t lead to any form of adverse reactions.
Several other studies warn that at higher doses, CBD may result in some mild adverse reactions. The good thing with CBD edibles is that they usually are pre-dosed and this helps to prevent the user from overdosing.
Medicinal Benefits of Using CBD Edibles
CBD edibles have been used for various purposes including:
- Easing anxiety and stress
- As an anti-inflammatory
- Soothing pain and inflammation
- Reducing the effects of chemotherapy
- Treating epilepsy and reducing the frequency of seizures
While shopping for your ideal CBD edible, make sure that you are getting it from a legitimate company. This makes all the difference because if your supplier is compromised, then it doesn’t matter how tasty the edible is or what the branding claims; the end results are destined to be very disappointing. You should also check out for the CBD dosages before buying the edible.